- Wie zijn we ?
Postdoc Academic Leadership Journey 2015
Leadership programme for postdocs (3 days) - September 29&30-October 20 (English)
Purpose of the training
Do you recognize the feeling that as a postdoc it becomes challenging to balance your responsibilities? You are no longer just a researcher, but also a teacher, coach of Master and PhD students, service provider,... All these parties (students, colleagues, promotors,…) have diverse expectations towards you.
Throughout this training we aim to support and strengthen the personal leadership skills of postdocs within this context. The trainer and your fellow participants will help you to reflect on your strengths and your challenges as a leader to reach better understanding. We explore different leadership styles, investigate how you can motivate people, we help you to become more skilled in coaching your collaborators and train skills to enable solution focused communication. We build effective teamwork and constructive relations with our collaborators. This will allow you to be more comfortable as a leader in handling all kinds of situations, even complex and difficult ones.
Programme building blocks
The participants preferably have some experience in guiding Postdocs or Master students.
The course is designed to bring you practical and applicable insights that you can start apply as of day 1. The theoretical frameworks we directly be applied in the day-day reality of the participants. Throughout the course we work with both theoretical and participant cases. The course method will vary from teaching, intervision, coaching moments, simulations, small group exercises, to practical cases and action planning.
Participants enroll to the full 3 module course. The modules are designed in a specific sequence, therefore attendance to all 3 is required.
We expect form our participants to:
- Fill out an intake questionnaire, as well as a leadership questionnaire
- Read a number of articles and recommended readings in-between sessions
- Reflect and apply what they learned in their own work context
- Actively participate in the sessions with respect for privacy to the other participants
You find a more detailed programme description below.
Module 1. Influencing starts with you
After this module
- You have a clear view on your own motivation in your role as a postdoc
- You know how to handle complex and delicate problems and turn them into solutions
- You can act assertively without being aggressive
- You are able to give and receive constructive feedback to take performance to a higher level
- You learn when to say yes and when to say no
Module 2. Leading as a postdoc
After this module
- You can be clear, explicit and demanding about your expectations and needs from others
- You are able to choose the most appropriate leadership style, taking into account your own preferences and strengths
- You will learn to coach others and find solutions without taking over
- You will know how to support a PhD student in managing his/her PhD project
Module 3. Leading a team and facilitating strong collaboration
After this module
- You know the essentials of team leadership and are able to apply this in your context
- You can inspire and motivate colleagues to contribute to the larger whole
- You can identify other parties and stakeholders that are important for realizing your own goals.
Training dates: September 29th & 30th and October 20th
Participation Fee: 675€ (excl VAT) - register here
Venue: UZ Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven
Contact information : firstname.lastname@example.org; +32 (0)473 750 686 or +32 (0)498 112 650